Funding for home care can be obtained through various channels. The process can differ depending on your specific circumstances, needs, and eligibility. Here are some potential avenues to explore:

1. Local Authority Funding: Local authorities provide means-tested support for individuals who require home care services. The first step is to contact your local social services department and request a care needs assessment. This assessment will determine your eligibility for funding based on your care needs and financial situation. If you qualify, the local authority may offer financial assistance or arrange and fund home care services directly.

2. NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC): NHS CHC is a fully funded package of care provided by the National Health Service (NHS) for individuals with complex health needs. If you have significant healthcare needs, you may be eligible for NHS CHC funding, which can cover home care services. The process involves a thorough assessment by healthcare professionals to determine your eligibility. Contact your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or healthcare provider for more information.

3. Personal Budgets and Direct Payments: If you’re eligible for local authority funding, you may have the option to receive a personal budget or direct payments. A personal budget is an allocated amount of money that you can use to purchase and manage your own care services, including home care. Direct payments allow you to receive the funding directly, giving you more control and flexibility in choosing and arranging your care. Discuss these options with your local social services department during the assessment process.

4. Attendance Allowance (AA): Attendance Allowance is a non-means-tested benefit provided by the UK government for individuals aged 65 or older who need help with personal care due to a physical or mental disability. It is intended to support people who require assistance but are not living in a care home. The allowance can help fund home care services. You can apply for Attendance Allowance through the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

5. Charitable and Voluntary Organizations: There are various charities and voluntary organizations in the UK that offer financial assistance or support for home care services. These organizations may provide grants, subsidies, or other forms of aid to individuals in need. Research and reach out to relevant charities in your area or specialized organizations related to your specific condition or circumstances.

6. Private Funding: If you have the financial means, you can choose to privately fund your home care services. This option allows you greater control over the selection of caregivers and the specific services provided. You can directly contact home care agencies or individual caregivers to discuss rates and services.

It’s important to note that the funding landscape and eligibility criteria may change over time. It’s advisable to contact your local social services department, NHS services, or relevant government agencies to get the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding funding options for home care in the UK

MEANS Tested Support for Home Care

Means-tested support refers to financial assistance or benefits that are based on an individual’s income, assets, and overall financial situation. The purpose of means testing is to determine eligibility for support and assess the level of assistance provided based on an individual’s financial need. In the context of home care in the UK, means-tested support may be offered by local authorities to help individuals who require care services but are unable to afford them fully.

To access means-tested support for home care in the UK, you typically need to follow these steps:

1. Contact your local social services department: Reach out to your local social services department or adult social care team to request a care needs assessment. This assessment will determine your eligibility for means-tested support based on your care needs and financial circumstances.

2. Care needs assessment: A social worker or care professional will visit you to assess your care needs. They will evaluate your ability to carry out daily tasks and determine the level of support required. During this assessment, you may also be asked about your financial situation, including income, savings, and assets.

3. Financial assessment: Following the care needs assessment, a financial assessment (also known as a means test) will be conducted to determine your eligibility for means-tested support. The financial assessment will assess your income, capital, and any relevant expenses. This information helps determine the amount of financial support you may be eligible to receive.

4. Determination of support: Based on the care needs assessment and the financial assessment, your local authority will determine the level of support you qualify for. The amount of means-tested support provided may vary depending on your financial circumstances and the availability of funds.

5. Support planning: If you are eligible for means-tested support, the local authority will work with you to create a care and support plan. This plan outlines the specific care services you require and how they will be funded. The local authority may arrange and fund the home care services directly or provide you with a personal budget or direct payments for you to manage your own care.
It’s worth noting that means-tested support can be subject to periodic reviews, as your financial circumstances may change over time. If your financial situation changes significantly, it’s important to inform your local social services department to reassess your eligibility for support.

For detailed information about means-tested support for home care in your specific area, it is recommended to contact your local social services department or adult social care team. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the application process and eligibility criteria.

Don't worry if you can't see your location

We're expanding in London and may have plans to move into your area shortly. Just call us on 01494412957 to discuss your needs.

Call Our Expert Advisors For Free Consultation